Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

According to a (non japanese, but he spent lots of time in Japan) Aikido teacher I know, this is supposed to represent "an obligation bounding student and teacher".

To be honest, I am a bit skeptical. I know that this is the starting part of the name of a specific "Kata" in Iwama Style Aikido (see here for an example) but I wonder if there is some other "esoteric" meaning or figure of speech that I am missing.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I did not know the word, but according to web search, I think that 気結び is an Aikido (合気道) terminology to describe the feeling of unity with the teacher, other students, and dojo itself. 気 (ki in Aikido) is a word used in Aikido which means something like “spirit.” 結び is the noun form of 結ぶ, which is a verb in daily use and means “to tie together.”

share|improve this answer

Thanks! But I am a bit surprised about you saying that 気 or (氣) is an Aikido word. It may not be used much in secular talk but it comes from Chinese philosophy and especially Daoism, and as such it surely predates Aikido by centuries. –  p.marino Aug 25 '12 at 13:59

@p.marino: Perhaps you should put these kind details in the question to get the answer you are looking for? –  Tim Aug 25 '12 at 14:31

@Tim? I know what "Ki" means - but I didn't know what 気結び means. I am just surprised to see "ki" labelled as an "Aikido word". And I really don't see what "detail" should add in this case. –  p.marino Aug 25 '12 at 15:11

@p.marino: Hmm, maybe calling 気 an Aikido word was misleading. As you said, this usage does not originate in Aikido. I edited the answer, which is hopefully better wording. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 25 '12 at 16:58

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.