Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have the following sentence:

• 早く行った方が良かったでしょう。

Here, if we take it apart we shall have:

• 早く(Adverb) 行った(Verb, Past tense) 方(?) が(GA, Subject particle) 良かったでしょう(Verb, Past tense) 。

What is the function of 方 in this position? I've read that it can be suffix, suffix of what?

share|improve this question
may we see some of the context for this sentence? I would like to provide a more accurate translation. –  yadokari Aug 20 '12 at 16:46

2 Answers 2

up vote 8 down vote accepted

A方{ほう}がB means "more B if A" or "Ber if A":

早く行った方が良かったでしょう。
It would have been better [more good] if (we/you/I etc) had gone early, would it not?

The here indicates a direction/side when comparing 2 or more things ([3] (イ) of this definition at Daijirin), in this case implying going early would have been better than going later.

share|improve this answer

I agree with Cypher's explanation, and with Ignacio's definition of 方 as a noun.

I would like to propose an alternative translation of the sentence:

早く行った方が良かったでしょう。

"The sooner you went, the better."

"The sooner you had gone, the better."

"It probably would have been better if you had gone sooner."

share|improve this answer

If anyone would care to point out my mistakes here, or say which is the more accurate translation attempt, I would appreciate it. Thanks~ –  yadokari Aug 20 '12 at 16:41

My only issue with this translation is that a beginner would be confused as to which is A and which B given that they are both more X or X er. –  dotnetN00b Aug 20 '12 at 23:02

@dotnet point taken. I am going for a natural sounding translation though, so i think this pattern fits well. –  yadokari Aug 20 '12 at 23:40

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.