Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've previously asked about あっての, but now it seems to me that I've run into an additional usage of it (or perhaps the same usage I just can't wrap my head around it...).

When the sentence is simply AあってのB, it seems pretty straightforward. For example:

あなたあっての私なんです。

I think means: "I wouldn't be here without you" This sentence, however is more confusing to me:

子供あっての我が家である。

Does this mean:

• "Our family wouldn't be here without the children/if not for the children"?

Or is it more like:

• "Our family exists for the (benefit of the) children"?

Or even:

• "If we never had children, we wouldn't be a family"?
share|improve this question
I'm not sure, but I translated it as "Our children being here makes us a family". So probably closer to the first or third ones. –  Chris Harris Aug 17 '12 at 21:32

What is the difference between the first option (“Our family wouldn’t be here without the children/if not for the children”) and the third option (“If we never had children, we wouldn’t be a family”)? –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 18 '12 at 3:35

I don't have an understanding I can confidently articulate to you, but WWWJDIC has a definition and you can look at some sentences in space alc to try to get a better feel for it. –  SomethingJapanese Aug 18 '12 at 4:37
@Tsuyoshi: I'll admit it's subtle, but I guess the first option implies that are children, but they're not part of the family...as in these children exist, but they're elsewhere (adopted by someone/being raised somewhere else). Like how just giving birth to a child doesn't mean you're a family, living together and being apart of each others' lives does. –  silvermaple Aug 18 '12 at 4:44

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I sometimes have this problem with あっての too so I looked it up (Reference: 日本語表現文型辞典 p25). To my surprise the English explanation was contradictory but the Japanese explanation works.

I'll start with the English definition:

「N1あってのN2」is an emphatic expression meaning N1 is realized because there is N2.

This fits

「子供あっての我が家である。」

which I take to mean "We would not be the family we are without our children"(see note 3), but seems contra to the more familiar:

「あなたあっての私なんです。 / "I wouldn't be here without you"

However the Japanese explanation uses the expression:

「N1があるからN2が成立する」

which works for both examples.

Notes

1. FWIW: The book also give alternative English equivalents as "comprised of" or "indispensable to".

2. The full Japanese definition was:

「N1あってのN2」の形で、「N1があるからN2が成立する」と強調するときの表現。

3. This translation is closest to your first meaning, which also seems quite acceptable. The others might also work in the right context?

share|improve this answer

あなたあっての私なんです means "I would not be the person as I am without you," so I am not sure what in the book you think contradicts the explanation of this phrase. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 18 '12 at 13:28

@Tsuyoshi ito: If you try to understand the phrase by applying the English explanation literally (as so many of us non-native speakers do when we struggle with a new term) then you get "You(N1) are realized because there is me (N2)" which is contra to "I am realized because there is you", which, in turn, corresponds in a ham fisted way to "I would not be the person as I am without you". (=>Soln: apply this Japanese definition) –  Tim Aug 18 '12 at 17:24

Ah, now I see what you mean. Thanks for the explanation! Indeed, I think that the quoted explanation in English is incorrect. N1あってのN2 means “N2 is realized because there is N1.” –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 18 '12 at 17:58

Thanks. Unfortunately this answer does not seem to have helped Silvermaple. I thought the English helps illustrate how あっての can sometimes be difficult to understand but it might be better left out. –  Tim Aug 19 '12 at 2:07

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.