Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have the sentence:

この国に生まれ老い、良かったと死んでゆける高齢化社会。

This is the first time I've seen 「死んでゆける」 or 「ゆける」. What does it mean? Is this a grammatical form? I also tried looking up more examples with 「ゆける」here, but there are only a few, and I'm not able to derive the meaning yet.

share|improve this question

We also write it as 死んで'い'ける, the potential form of 死んで'い'く. (死んで'ゆ'ける and 死んで'ゆ'く sound more literary to me.) We also have 「[生]{う}まれてくる」、「[生]{い}きていく(生きてゆく)」... –  Chocolate Aug 15 '12 at 3:27

ところで・・・the いく in 死んでいく has a nuance of "離れる/going away" and the いく in 生きていく has a nuance of "続ける/~~on, continue ~~" –  Chocolate Aug 16 '12 at 15:28
add comment

1 Answer

yuke-ru (行ける) is a verb meaning "can go" or "is possible". It derives from the potential form of the verb yuk- (行く). "an aging society in which one can die being grateful for being born and growing old in this country"

share|improve this answer

Thanks, I didn't even consider「行く」when I should have. Is it normal for it to be written in hiragana as opposed to kanji? –  Chris Harris Aug 14 '12 at 22:25
Either is fine, but I typically see it in hiragana. Consider it being written in kanji: is it read ikeru or yukeru? That is one motivation. –  Dono Aug 14 '12 at 22:28
Since it's speaking of dying, wouldn't it more likely be 逝ける? –  istrasci Aug 14 '12 at 22:56
It's typically written in hiragana when used with the って form of the verb, as is くる. –  Jeemusu Aug 15 '12 at 0:03

The te-form of ゆく is ゆいて (イ音便) instead of ゆって (促音便), but it was obsolete. ゆく(行く) was much popular than いく(行く) in classical Japanese, but we usually use いく and read 行く as いく at present time. –  Gradius Aug 15 '12 at 4:54
show 1 more comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.