Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How did this brand name Superdry. 極度乾燥(しなさい) come about? Is there any deep consideration behind it? Are the customers having some thoughts?

share|improve this question

It looks like a “translation” practice similar to this, but what is the point of asking this? –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 7 '12 at 14:17

@TsuyoshiIto Since the brand seems popular, I do not think it was just a simple stupidity. But I was not sure. –  sawa Aug 7 '12 at 14:22

@Flaw I am not saying it sucks. I take that as granted. I am wondering why such sucking expression is being popular. But it is true that it is probably not a useful question. –  sawa Aug 7 '12 at 14:24
blog.goo.ne.jp/kennytata/e/448af50e48466dcbd862544e4f84659c でも笑えます。。。 –  Chocolate Aug 7 '12 at 14:48
@sawa: I am not sure whom you were referring to by."you guys," but I did not vote to close. Still I do not think that this is a question about the language, so I agree with the closure. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Aug 8 '12 at 12:41
show 5 more comments

closed as off topic by silvermaple, Flaw, sawa, Dono, gibbon Aug 8 '12 at 10:39

Questions on Japanese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to the Japanese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

The answer is in this BBC documentary called "Secrets of the Superbrands".

The owner of the Cheltenham based British company that developed the brand simply went to Japan, possibly as far back as 1985, was inspired by Japanese packaging, and used that to develop their graphic images.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.