Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Why do the singular first person pronouns 俺{おい}等{ら} and 俺{お}等{ら} involve the plural affix 等?

enter image description here enter image description here

share|improve this question
Interesting. EDICT shows 「おら」 as 「己」. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Aug 5 '12 at 1:28

That is probably ateji. And that source is highly unreliable. –  sawa Aug 5 '12 at 1:35
このサイト見てる大半の人は写真の意味わからないんだろうな、きっと。 –  sawa Aug 5 '12 at 18:43
Well, even if you learn the language, a lot of cultural references will go over your head. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Aug 5 '12 at 18:48
@Axioplase I am assuming that in present (Tohoku) Japanese, semantically, it is used as singular, but etymologically, it involves the plural affix. It is not rare in languages that a morpheme loses its original meaning and later require another morpheme to further add the same meaning. So I do not think that おらたづ is an evidence that ら was not plural originally (although it may be that it lost the plural meaning by now). –  sawa Aug 6 '12 at 6:13

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

First, I am not sure that /ora/ really belongs in this category. Most dictionaries simply list it as a variant of /ore/. But /oira/ is pretty unanimously agreed to derive from /orera/, 俺 + 等 as you say, so I will stick to discussion of that one. (In any case, presumably whatever applies to /oira/ would also apply to /ora/ if indeed they were the same /-ra/.)

So, the key point is that 等 does not necessarily mean "[+plural]" in a literal sense. In the case of /oira/ it was originally a way of expressing non-specificness and therefore humbleness. Contemporary first-person singular usages like /watakusi.domo/ and /watakusi nado/ are, I think, an example of the same phenomenon: they don't mean "myself and others", but rather "(a lowly) one such as myself". You can find this usage attached to other pronouns too in historical documents; the Kojien has an example of first-person singular /ware.ra/ for example. And of course it has also been attached to second- or third-person pronouns to express contempt (something like the contemporary /omae nado/).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.