Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am trying to understand the title of an anime series called: Naruto Shippuden. Searching google, I found that shippuden can be translated as hurricane chronicles or legend. I looked for hurricane in the English wikipedia, and afterwards went to the Japanese version.

熱帯低気圧(ねったいていきあつ、英: Tropical Cyclone)

Can someone explain why 疾風伝 whould be translated as hurricane chronicles?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

疾風 (rapidly + wind) means Hurricane (meteorological) 伝 means tradition/deliverance/legend 伝 is used like a suffix. For an Anime/Manga title it's o.K, but I doubt you would say it this way in normal conversation

share|improve this answer

Thanks for your answer. What do you doubt I would say in a normal conversation? 疾風伝? –  Macarse Aug 2 '12 at 22:06
Yeah. 疾風伝, with the 伝 suffix. It is more like written language. –  Tadayoshi Aug 2 '12 at 22:15

~~伝 is written language?? Then 龍馬伝/魏志倭人伝 are written language too? What would you say them in the spoken style then. –  Chocolate Aug 3 '12 at 0:59

I don't know for sure. That's why I said I doubt. I can be wrong. But I see 伝 often in written language, but I don't hear it that often as a suffix. As I said I could be wrong. –  Tadayoshi Aug 3 '12 at 12:45
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.