Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the difference between the two words こぼれる and あふれる?

I think for こぼれる, the focus is on improper or bad containment leading to overflow/spillage.
And for あふれる the focus is on the abundance of the object being contained, therefore leading to overflow/spillage.

As an aside, how frequently is the kanji used for あふれる and こぼれる?
I ask this because Google IME suggests 溢れる for both あふれる and こぼれる.
Is あふれる usually in kana and こぼれる usually 零れる?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Yes, your analysis is correct. As a Christian, 溢れる is used often in church, the Bible, etc. to describe such as God's overflowing love (神様の溢れ出る愛), overflowing joy, etc. And I usually see it written using the kanji .

I have never seen こぼれる written with . The kanji (れい) also means "zero", so it's not hard to see that spilling something might result in an amount of zero leftover. So this has a more negative connotation than 溢れる.

share|improve this answer
  • こぼれる is the general term for "spill". It can be due to leakage, overflow, tilt, etc.
  • 溢れる specifically means "spill due to overflow", or "full of" without particular mention to spill.
share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.