Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm totally puzzled as to what this means, and I couldn't find any helpful hints when I searched through multiple websites. Does anyone else have a clue?

share|improve this question
Welcome to JLU! Would you mind adding the reference to where you saw or heard this word? –  Chris Harris Jul 28 '12 at 7:01

Also, it may be helpful to look at the FAQ since this question may be considered too localized. –  Chris Harris Jul 28 '12 at 7:21
Can you provide some context? –  Choko Jul 28 '12 at 16:08
This question has a deleted answer, which is visible only to moderators and users with 2,000 reputation points. Because I find nothing wrong with that answer, I wonder why it was deleted. It would be great if the person who posted that answer considers to undelete it or at least explains why it was deleted. (As a general rule, I would not like to disclose who posted a deleted answer when he/she does not reveals him/herself.) –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jul 28 '12 at 21:51

@TsuyoshiIto Oh ok, I've undeleted it now. I just figured that there was probably something wrong with it because of the downvote. –  cypher Jul 29 '12 at 0:16

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's a variation of ギギギ, which originates from the manga はだしのゲン (barefoot Gen).

It's onomatopoeia which refers to teeth grinding in anger, frustration or regret. It can also be used as a sort of "groan" symbolizing unbearable agony.

See also http://www.paradisearmy.com/doujin/pasok_gigigi.htm for more info.

share|improve this answer

Thank you cypher! –  user1424 Jul 29 '12 at 3:43

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.