Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This is from deceze, but what is the counter used for doors. Is it 枚(mai) or something else?

share|improve this question

Looks like 枚 or 本 is ok, but I never heard of that myself. –  YOU Jun 5 '11 at 14:39

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

According to this page, it's 一枚、一本 (いちまい, いっぽん). Found it under 戸 (と).

share|improve this answer
wow, great link btw. Should probably get that added to the FAQ –  Mark Hosang Jun 5 '11 at 15:45
I would use 一枚. In fact, I did not know that a door can be counted as 一本. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 5 '11 at 16:07

That site seems to fall back on 一本 for a few things which aren't cylindrical (e.g. 大仏). Maybe they were talking about revolving doors? –  nevan king Jun 5 '11 at 16:14
@nevan: (1) I think that the website states 大仏 is counted as 一体. But I started to be a little worried about the correctness of the website, seeing that it shows the pronunciation of 大仏 as たいぶつ while the correct pronunciation is だいぶつ. (2) I would not count revolving doors as 一本 either, but it is hard to say how to count them because I have never encountered the situation where I have to count them. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 5 '11 at 16:22

Ah, I misread it. I have no idea how accurate that site is, I only found it today. They also say that 夜着 is やぎ. They have a lot of counters though. (The revolving doors was just a joke). –  nevan king Jun 5 '11 at 16:34

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.