Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In reference to Japanese sweets (わらび餅), I found this sentence:

見た目も透明感があり、涼しげで夏にピッタリです。

Its clear and cool appearance makes it perfect for summer.

Is 涼しげで two words? 涼しい + で?

Could I also write the sentence this way, or would it make it grammatically incorrect or change the meaning?

見た目も透明感があり、涼しくて夏にピッタリです。

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 9 down vote accepted

げ can be attached to the stem of a selected set of subjective i-adjectives or nouns to turn them into a na-adjective meaning "seemingly ...". With adjectives that you cannot use this, you can use そう instead. With nouns, you cannot replace it with そう.

涼しそう 涼しげ 自慢 自慢げ

Your rewrite will change the meaning.

This belongs to derivational morphology, and is not usually considered part of syntax.

share|improve this answer

Thank you, that is interesting. In my experience I hear 涼しそう more than 涼しげ . What is the tone of this conjugation? Is it stuffy or formal or archaic or colloquial in feel? –  yadokari Jul 23 '12 at 2:09

I don't see the "seemingly" nuance in these examples- 涼しげな潮風 cool sea breeze 涼しげな音 refreshingly cool sound (are they wrong?) –  yadokari Jul 23 '12 at 2:16

@yadokari They are wrong as translations. –  sawa Jul 23 '12 at 2:19

Also, 「げ」 in this usage is 「[気]{げ}」. –  Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jul 23 '12 at 2:33

@IgnacioVazquez-Abrams Yes. –  sawa Jul 23 '12 at 2:42
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.