Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have another sentence from 合格できる、日本語能力試験N2:

そこで私はいつも考えるのだが、各国にある日本大使館は日本人旅行者のため、こういう留学生、研究家を講師にした講座を現地で開いてくれないだろうか。

The part in the sentence where it says 「講師にした講座」 is hard for me to understand. I wondered why it cannot be 「講師にして講座」. Is there some grammar form in this sentence that explains why it should be 「講師にした講座」?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 3 down vote accepted
  • Traditional grammar says (stupidly) that it is the 連体形 of the 助動詞 た.
  • Some modern linguists say it is the past attributive form (連体形) of する used in a relative clause.
  • I believe it is the past morpheme (attached to the stem of する) used in a relative clause.
share|improve this answer
Can you explain why you think your first bullet point is stupid? –  silvermaple Jul 22 '12 at 22:17

@silvermaple: I also want to know. –  Chris Harris Jul 23 '12 at 14:37

Probably because た is not linguistically a 助動詞 (things like する and ◯◯ていく are) but...drumroll...a suffix. –  user54609 Aug 29 '13 at 15:37
add comment

Actually it can be. Think about this simplified sentence:

大使館は、研究家を講師にした講座を開く。

And, compare it to this one:

大使館は、研究家を講師にして講座を開く。

Both have almost the same meaning. However, in the former, the clause 研究家を講師にした modifies the noun 講座, while in the latter, the clause 研究家を講師にして modifies the verb 開く (or the clause 大使館は開く).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.