Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have the sentence from 合格できる、日本語能力試験N2:

私は外国旅行をするたび、「 」専門の勉強をしている日本人の若い学者に会うと、思いがけない収穫をえる。

The choices for the blank are A)あそこで B)そこで C)ここで D)どこかで

I narrowed it down to either A or B, but then I realized that I don't know the difference between them. Would someone mind explaining when either should be used and the difference they make?

share|improve this question
I think it's like... "魚民の看板を見るたび、「その」(not「あの」)文字間がくっつき気味なデザインに惑わされる。" / "茂木さんのツイート見るたび、「その」(not 「あの」)話題について考え込んでしまう。" / "被災者の方々の様子を報道で見るたび「そこで」(not あそこで)過ごしている方や・・・" –  Choko Jul 22 '12 at 15:46
@Chocolate: Those are good examples. Maybe with more clarification you could make that into an answer at some point? –  Chris Harris Jul 22 '12 at 21:11

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Here, you want an anaphoric usage of demonstrative pronoun, not a deictic one. I think only ここ and そこ allow anaphoric usage.

share|improve this answer

If I'm understanding correctly, since the author had mentioned the place already (and to avoid repetition), an anaphoric そこで is used. If the place was already known by the listener (inference), then a deictic あそこで could be used. Does this seem correct? –  Chris Harris Jul 25 '12 at 5:31
@Chris It is not to avoid repetition. It is because it is a varibale. It is like "whenever I travel x, ... x ...". The x here needs the binder "whenever x". Without it, it cannot be interpreted. Deictic usage requires a different context. –  sawa Jul 25 '12 at 6:11

That is a good answer and a good comment! Thank you! –  Chris Harris Jul 25 '12 at 6:15

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.