Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to email someone pretty high up in a company and want him to remember who I am.

Edit: I met him briefly at a trade show. We exchanged business cards and spoke for less than five minutes.

Should I use:

お目にかかりました

or, what I think is probably more appropriate, an expression using some kind of 授受表現 like

お目にかからせていただきました

お会いしていただきました

お会いさせていただきました

or something similar? I have a feeling there's a kanji word for this kind of situation, but I don't know what it is.

share|improve this question

Have you spoken with that person, or just saw that person? It depends on that. –  sawa Jul 20 '12 at 14:23

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I think the best choice would be:

({先日 / [date] に} [event]で) お目にかかりました

I think this would also work:

ご挨拶させていただきました

These sound a bit awkward to me:

• お目にかからせていただきました
  • お会いしていただきました
  • お会いさせていただきました
share|improve this answer
@sawa-san, Wow thank you for editing! –  Choko Jul 20 '12 at 14:53

if you really 'met' him, like greeting and not just saw him from far away you could say something like:

ご挨拶させて頂きました。
ご紹介させて頂きました。

etc.

share|improve this answer

Of course. Thank you very much. –  jefflovejapan Jul 20 '12 at 7:15

Note: not お挨拶, but ご挨拶 basically ご is used for kanji-characters (jukugo), and お is used more hiragana characters. お会い: ok, ご会い: ng, but お挨拶: ng, ご挨拶: ok –  Jun Mukai Jul 20 '12 at 9:17
We don't say 「お」挨拶... We'd say ご挨拶させていただきました... I think ご紹介させていただきました means "I introduced (someone) to you". (I think the を is normally left out) –  Choko Jul 20 '12 at 13:06

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.