Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a friend who speaks Japanese and I would like to learn the language with no prior experience. What commercial teaching approach would you consider the best? Pimsleur, Phonics, or something else?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Dono, cypher, sawa, gibbon, Chris Harris Jul 18 '12 at 13:18

Questions on Japanese Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to the Japanese language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Good on you for wanting to learn Japanese, and thanks for joining Japanese Language and Usage. Unfortunately, this question is off-topic, for reasons explained here. There's a post on the meta site on resources for learning Japanese, and you can discuss learning techniques, and anything else within reason, in the chat room, even though it's off-topic here. Feel free to ask other questions on the Japanese Language and Usage web site in the future. Ganbatte! (Don't give up!) –  Andrew Grimm Jul 18 '12 at 12:15

I upvoted this question to help get you the required 20 reputation to use chat. (But it's off-topic). –  Andrew Grimm Jul 18 '12 at 12:24
-1 to counteract the misused upvote. Not that the question is particularly bad. –  user458 Jul 18 '12 at 12:26
"et al.," is unnecessary as it is a salutation. It would have been edited and removed. –  Chris Harris Jul 18 '12 at 14:59
careful, phonics is something very easy to get hooked on. –  taylor Jul 19 '12 at 0:45

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.