Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've watched a few anime and keep coming across a word that sounds like "henki". In the subtitles, the sentences are like "Are you ok?", "How are you feeling?". With those translations, I'd expect the word to be "genki". I didn't know if maybe in some dialects the "g" could be pronounced as a "h".

So am I crazy or am I onto something?

share|improve this question

No. If there is more context, we may be able to tell what it actually is. –  user458 Jul 15 '12 at 16:41
Possibly 平気{へいき}. –  nkjt Jul 15 '12 at 16:46
@nkjt probably gave the answer... and should have done so as a real answer... Can you move your comment to an answer, please? –  Dave Jul 16 '12 at 0:27

Since I can't find an immediate example, I'll have to agree with @Dave. –  dotnetN00b Jul 16 '12 at 0:35

@nkjt, how the heck did you get furigana in a comment?!? –  BillyNair Jul 16 '12 at 20:10

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

(Figured I should write more than two words for an answer). What you are hearing is probably 平気{へいき}. I'd say it's more 'okay' as in calm, collected, emotionally unaffected by something than in the physical sense.

平気なふりをする

Pretend to be okay. (put on a brave face, stiff upper lip, etc)

It is sometimes used in a negative sense to refer to having no problem doing X (where X is something most people wouldn't do or would have some doubts/feel guilt about doing)

平気で 嘘{うそ}をつく

Be fine with lying/lie without a second thought.

share|improve this answer

This sounds right to me. I can't possibly imagine a speaker saying /henki/. Although, in fast speech the velar plosive /ɡ/ can be realized as the velar fricative [ɣ] as long as it is both preceded and followed by a vowel or semivowel (The Sounds of Japanese, Vance, 2008, page 76). Since, we are talking about an utterance-initial /ɡ/ I don't know if it's eligible for this plosive->fricative weakening. But this sloppy kind of speech wouldn't appear in anime unless it was overtly gruff. –  taylor Jul 16 '12 at 10:57

nkjt is correct. I'm just putting this here for completeness.

An example of heiki (平気{へいき}) being used to mean cool or okay.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.