Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I used to call black people くろじん, either because I mistakenly read 黒人{こくじん} as such or because I heard it somewhere (or both), until I was told by another Japanese learner that こくじん is more politically correct.

Looking into it, I can't find the word in the dictionary.

I actually used くろじん for a while and was never corrected on it. I learned こくじん by asking what it meant, after someone said it.

Is this all my mistake, or is it actually a word? If so, is it derogatory?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 11 down vote accepted

It is not a word. Perhaps people understood what you were saying and had not bothered to correct you. When on-reading is mistakenly read as kun-reading, it is often easy to tell what you mean even if it is not correct.

share|improve this answer
It's a relief to know I wasn't going around spouting racial slurs. –  Louis Jul 13 '12 at 7:24

I have purposely missed used the on/kun readings jokingly on some words and don't get corrected as often as I thought. Japanese are often too polite to tell you that you are wrong. –  BillyNair Jul 13 '12 at 22:35
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.