Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When I see something like this:

ヘ(´∀`ヘ)ヘ(´∀`ヘ)ヨイヨイ(ノ´∀`)ノ(ノ´∀`)ノヨイヨイ♪

I think some voodoo demon wants to say something to me. o_O

My Japanese friends often use kaomoji. But, when they add (´▽`) or (゚∀゚) I can't tell if they are sad, confused, happy, or even angry. I just can't see the emotion for an upside-down A.

Maybe you can draw something based on the most popular kaomoji, so I can envision it in my mind like you do.

I'm afraid of those demon smilies! Please help me understand how to interpret kaomoji.

share|improve this question

notice that they sometimes have words attached, like the one in your example. –  Louis Jul 13 '12 at 7:23
While accepting questions about "what is kaomoji: ( ・_・)ノ", etc should probably closed under "too localized", I'm pretty sure what the OP was asking for is basically this link: japaneseemoticons.net/all-japanese-emoticons . Note that each category is given a short introduction giving general strategies for interpreting particular emotions. –  jkerian Jul 13 '12 at 16:29

What was the defining reason for reopening this question? Is there an answer that relates to the Japanese language more so than addressing just the imagination? –  Chris Harris Jul 14 '12 at 5:15
@Chris See meta.japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/883/… - or in summary, five people thought it was on-topic and rejected the first close reason. If the question is too vague, then the "not constructive" reason should have been used instead, but that is a separate argument. –  Troyen Jul 14 '12 at 7:21

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Perhaps this site may be of use to you.

For each section there is a brief description and explanation of the choice of symbols/characters used.

The characters used for kaomoji may represent:

• Eyes (usually obvious)(may be covered by arms/hand)
  • Ears (may be absent)
  • Nose (may be absent)
  • Mouth ( and in your examples are mouths)
  • Limits of the face (usually these - ( ) are face delimiters)
  • Flushing of cheeks ( may be (but not limited to) # or @ )
  • Sweat (usually obvious if present)
  • Tears (usually obvious if present)
  • Arms/hand ( in your example)(And sometimes may be used to cover the eyes)
  • Lines of motion ( In (-_-)ゞ゛, ゞ゛ is an arm with lines of motion showing a head-scratching action)
  • Objects (占 - spray bottle, 尸 - flag, φ - pen, etc.)
share|improve this answer

Bookmarked! Thank you so much \(T∇T)/ –  silvermaple Jul 14 '12 at 12:17

Please help me with my imagination!

Well, use it. You know that a kaomoji is a face, and I'm adding that it often has arms. Try to see if something looks like a smile, a grin, or whatever… It just takes practice, there is no rule.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.