Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the etymology of the word プラスアルファ(+α)?

This is a neologism I believe, however I hear it quite often nowadays. I'm curious to what the origin would be?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

What is the etymology of the word プラスアルファー

It is usually プラスアルファ, without a long vowel at the end.

It is a compound of two word: プラス + アルファ. プラス is from English "plus". アルファ is thought to have represented a variable x but it was mistakenly identified / read as Greek α and hence アルファ. The intent was "+ x (=something)".

share|improve this answer

Thank you for the correction (updated my question). I'm unfamiliar with the usage "+ x (=something)", is that used in English? –  Jesse Good Jul 10 '12 at 23:02

Not really. It is more from math. –  Dono Jul 10 '12 at 23:33
@Dono Do you have a good reference backing up the origin as a misreading of "+x"? A quick Googling revealed only unsourced hearsay. (Not challenging you on the specifics, just looking for a reliable account of the etymology.) –  Matt Jul 11 '12 at 1:37
I'm with @Matt: the 'mistakenly identified' theory sounds fairly dodgy to me (for a start, why would people mistake a commonly used romaji, for a not so commonly used greek letter??). On the other hand, 'α' is a pretty acceptable variable name for a small, unknown quantity (whereas 'x' would be a more generic unknown). –  Dave Jul 11 '12 at 1:43
@Matt, Dave: Here are quotes from two published references. 『現代カタカナ語辞典\』 (旺文社, 2006):未知数を示すxをギリシャ語のαと見間違えたことから。 And 『大辞泉』(小学館, 2006): アルファは、未知数を示すXをギリシャ語のα(アルファ)に読みまちがえたものという。 –  Dono Jul 11 '12 at 14:14

I asked this same question to my Japanese co-worker the other day and he told me the following reason (although, I'm not entirely convinced)

During baseball in Japan they used to write an X in the 9th inning score box if the team had already won in the 8th inning. This was often written in a shorthand way (1 stroke) which resulted in the X looking like an alpha. From the idea of having done so much more than was needed that they didn't even keep score in the 9th inning - came the associated meaning of doing more than is expected. Just like a baseball team can "プラスアルファ" their score, so can a person "プラスアルファ" an action.

(I'm afraid I have no idea about baseball, so this might not be totally cogent)

share|improve this answer

The wikipedia article I linked to in the comment in the other answer says the same thing. However, there is some debate on whether this is really true or not. –  Jesse Good Jul 13 '12 at 20:20

FWIW, Shogakukan's Kokugo Dai Jiten Dictionary similarly indicates an origin in baseball recordkeeping, where an X used to denote some unknown or unspecified score was misread as an α. –  Eiríkr Útlendi May 28 at 6:24

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.