Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Pretty sure you have to use 割 but I don't know which pronunciation to use and how to say "equals" in this context.

share|improve this question
Related: How to read the X in 5X4間? –  Flaw Jul 11 '12 at 5:26

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

It's read as 「24割る8は4」「にじゅうよんわるはちはよん」[nijuu yon waru hachi wa yon]. (I think we often say「24割る8イコール4」「にじゅうよんわるはちイコールよん」[nijuu yon waru hachi ikooru yon] after junior high school...) Wait, 24÷8=...4? Isn't it 3?

share|improve this answer
Agh, the actual thing I needed translation for was different and equaled to 4. So I was trying hard not to make the mistake I ended up making. –  Oleg Levy Jul 10 '12 at 8:21
Haha, math fail! :D –  istrasci Jul 10 '12 at 14:26

As Chocolate answered correctly, "equal" is usually omitted, but if you want to say it, it would be である, or なり (natural in this context but archaic). The one with イコール that Chocolate mentions is often heard, but I do not think it is a grammatical Japanese sentence. It is tracing the mathematical notation token by token.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.