Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I found a phrase in one vocabulary book about the usage of 縮む.
I am not clear on the meaning of this phrase:

身の縮む思い

I think it can be the same meaning as 恥ずかしい. Is that right?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I think 身が縮む思いをする/身の縮む思いをする means you're so afraid, scared, or frightened. 広辞苑 says "ちぢむ[縮む]③恐れなどで体がすくんで小さくなる。身がすぼまる。「身が縮む思い」"

share|improve this answer

So,is it not same with 恥ずかしい? –  Nyein Nyein Chan Chan Jul 9 '12 at 5:00
@NyeinNyeinChanChan-- I don't think we'd say 身が(orの)縮む思いをした to mean 恥ずかしい, we are ashamed or embarrassed... We'd rather say 顔から火が出る or 穴があったら入りたい. (Maybe you're confusing 身が縮む思い with 肩身が狭い?) –  Chocolate Jul 9 '12 at 5:20

Ok,thanks.I made a sentence 彼はしかられて身の縮む思いをした。.Is it Correct? (Can you give me a example sentence,please?) –  Nyein Nyein Chan Chan Jul 9 '12 at 5:21

Eww I didn't know the phrase can also be used to say you're embarrassed. (I just saw Goo辞書.) Then, 叱られて身の縮む思いをした might sound like you were embarrassed because someone scolded you... –  Chocolate Jul 9 '12 at 15:27
How about "I felt as if I was shrinking up with fear. あまりの恐ろしさに身の縮む思いがした. " (the 7th example sentence in this page. ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/content/%22with+fear%22/2) –  Chocolate Jul 9 '12 at 15:44
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.