Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is いらっしゃいませ only used by staff, or is it used in other circumstances?

When I was at a dinner at a restaurant being held after a programmers' meetup, I thought that I heard it being used by one of the people eating (it could have been the organizer of the dinner for all I know) to welcome a late-comer. Or is it more likely I mis-heard them merely saying いらっしゃい or some other form of the verb?

share|improve this question

いらっしゃる is also used instead of 居る in some keigo. –  oldergod Jul 7 '12 at 7:03

Is it possible that he just responded with "いらっしゃいました"? I'm not a native, but I think you can use "いらっしゃい" when welcoming someone to your home, or business. It has a connection to "being ready to serve". But this is only what I've heard.. –  Chris Harris Jul 7 '12 at 8:10
@Chris いらっしゃい is the imperative form of いらっしゃる, which is the subject honorific form of いる or 来る . –  user458 Jul 7 '12 at 10:19

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

A hearty いらっしゃいませ! from the staff or owner brings back happy memories of Japanese restaurant/bar life. いらっしゃい is a perfectly ordinary word of greeting. A person who feels like the 'owner' of the get-together might well shout a いらっしゃいませ especially if alcohol is involved. There is also the possibility of using it ironically or with hostility on a late-comer - again the alcohol issue. In Japan, if you act drunk, you can be safely forthright. Watch a lot of daytime drama to get a handle on the many uses of keigo.

share|improve this answer

There was alcohol involved. I was drinking nihonshu while others were mainly drinking beer. +1 for the answer, and for giving an answer rather than a comment. –  Andrew Grimm Jul 7 '12 at 23:58

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.