Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Assume that the employer gives a presentation to the public audience. After the presentation, you as the employee want to appreciate it.

What is the best expression used by an employee to appreciate his/her employer?

For example, is it polite to say "Anata no happyoo ha ii desu." ?

share|improve this question
Maybe something like お疲れ様でした。Xさんの発表とてもよかったです。 –  Jesse Good Jul 4 '12 at 8:03

How about 「(name)+(title like 課長/部長)のプレゼン、大変[たいへん]勉強[べんきょう]になりました。」? –  Chocolate Jul 4 '12 at 14:21

I wonder why this has 2 close votes and 1 down vote... It seems like a perfectly reasonable question. –  atlantiza Jul 5 '12 at 0:02

+1 because of the unexplained downvote and close votes, and since the OP themself has made an attempt. –  Andrew Grimm Jul 5 '12 at 2:57
add comment

1 Answer

up vote -1 down vote accepted
  • It is not appropriate to say あなた to your boss. Call by the title plus the name.
  • happyo → happyoo
  • ha → wa
  • Using the non past form here is wrong. Use the past tense.
share|improve this answer

But is it polite for the employees to evaluate the boss' performance? –  I am who I say I am Jul 4 '12 at 12:45
@sawa - "ha" is often used in romaji so that beginners will quickly learn to use for the 'wa' particle. –  istrasci Jul 4 '12 at 20:24
@sawa Saying that it is wrong is quite... wrong itself. People who learn は (particle) as romaji "ha" will still pronounce it the same way as you do when you use the romaji "wa". So it does in fact represent the sound. Similarly, people who learn し as romaji "si" will pronounce it as IPA ɕi. They have mapped the roman letters to different sounds than other romanization methods. Nothing is wrong about it though. –  atlantiza Jul 5 '12 at 0:07
@sawa Nihon-shiki Romanization would use "ha", not "wa". If you said "This is incorrect for Hepburn Romanization", or "Nihon-shiki is a bad Romanization scheme", that'd be a legitimate statement, but merely saying that "ha" is wrong is misleading. –  Andrew Grimm Jul 5 '12 at 3:03
@sawa Someone used to this style knows that particle は written as "ha" is pronounced differently from はし written as "hashi" (or hasi if they prefer). I know people who use this romanization method and they are conscious of the different pronunciations. Although you may not see the rule, it is there. It's not up to us to decide what romanization methods people use. –  atlantiza Jul 5 '12 at 13:38
show 5 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.