Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Or "I understand much better now." If someone helped me with a translation and I responded with: どうもありがとうございます。前より上手に分かっています。 Would that be the correct way to express that in Japanese?

share|improve this question
esaura.cc is great for translation questions. A typical phrase in japanese for this situation is 勉強になりました though it is obviously not a direct translation –  yadokari Jul 1 '12 at 19:43

Even in English, though, this is sort of a weird thing to say. (At least it's a very formal way of saying it.) I think it'd be better just as "I get it" or a simple "わかりました". –  Nick Augello Jul 4 '12 at 21:03
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

A typical phrase in japanese for this situation is "勉強になりました", though it is obviously not a direct translation. Maybe you could say:

前よりもっと分かりました

Or from Chocolateさん:

前よりずっと理解が深まりました

share|improve this answer

If my answer is passable, can anyone tell me if this way would be unnatural? 前よりもっと分かりになりました –  yadokari Jul 1 '12 at 20:53

also would 前よりはもっと分かりました be better? –  yadokari Jul 1 '12 at 20:55

So two questions: How did 勉強になりました, became to study, come to mean what I wrote above? Also, why is it 分かりました instead of 分かります? –  dotnetN00b Jul 1 '12 at 22:09

there are many meanings of naru besides become= csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1E. in this instance i think it would mean something more like "I studied it to a point of understanding/fully grasping it". –  yadokari Jul 1 '12 at 22:58

@yadokari-san, We don't say「分かりになりました」... How about 「前よりずっと理解が深まりました」? –  Choko Jul 1 '12 at 23:23
show 5 more comments

I doubt one says "上手に"+"分かる", since 分かる is "come to be understood", rather than "actively understand".

The suggested 勉強になりました is pretty common.

If you really want to say "I understand much better than before", you could say "やっと、分かってきた", "やっと理解するようになった", or "前より理解できた". Although I would probably add "かも(しれない)" at the end of all these examples, to be somewhat less assertive about my comprehension faculties.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.