Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the difference between ながら, がてら and つつ?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

ながら means doing multiple things simultaneously. がてら means to do one thing at somewhere middle along way to doing another. つつ means doing multiple things alongside but not necessarily simultaneously, little by little in turn.

運転しながら食事する
'eat while driving'

運転(し)がてら食事する
'eating along the way driving (after having driven half way)'

運転しつつ食事する
'take a bite and drive a little, take a bite and drive a little, ...'

share|improve this answer

I don't understand the explanation of がてら. The meaning of this : "means to do one thing on the way for doing another"- is unclear, as is this: "eating (half way) after driving." "Eating half way after driving," does not make sense but it implies this: "eating half a meal after you finish driving." –  yadokari Jun 20 '12 at 19:20

Yep, same here, I don't quite get your explanation of がてら. Could you please add a few more examples of it in use? –  Philip Seyfi Jun 20 '12 at 19:49

がてらに = …をかねて。…のついでに。 So it sounds to me like XがてらにY is like, X is the main thing, and Y is incidental, happening along the way (maybe just because it can, or it's convenient...or whatever). –  SomethingJapanese Jun 20 '12 at 20:02

@yadokari, PhilipSeyfi I edited to make my intention clear. SomethingJapanese I agree with that. That is what I meant. –  sawa Jun 21 '12 at 1:20

Maybe worth pointing out that when using ながら, the second half of the sentence is the main/important task. So your first sentence probably gives the impression that you prioritize eating over driving, and would translate to 'driving while eating'. –  Jeemusu Oct 4 '12 at 2:33

I think the meaning is to drive half the journey (for example) stop for food and then drive again to.the destination.

"We stopped for food on the way here"

share|improve this answer

Hello there, Stu, and welcome to JLU! I think you were trying to make a comment on Sawa's answer, but what you did is make your own answer. Unfortunately commenting requires at least 50 reputation. To find out more about reputation and privileges, please read the FAQ. I look forward to having you in the community! japanese.stackexchange.com/faq#reputation –  silvermaple Oct 4 '12 at 1:17

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.