Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have this sentence as an example for the grammar point をもって:

I国が起こした戦争は、世界中に衝撃をもって伝えられた。

をもって can either refer to [1] the means through which something is done, or [2] a point in time where something ends/begins.

I'm not really sure which usage this is. As far as I can figure out, it's either something like [1] "The world found out about the war in Country X with a shock/suddenly", or [2] "When the war broke out suddenly (with a crash/bang) in Country X, the world found out about it."

Or, more likely, none of the above. Can someone shed some light on what I'm missing?

share|improve this question

How about "When Country X started the war, the world found out about it with a shock" as a translation? Or, "The war started by Country X was reported around the world with shock"? This Japanese dictionary shows 5 meanings of もって(以て). weblio.jp/content/%E4%BB%A5%E3%81%A6 –  Gradius Jun 20 '12 at 20:31

@Gradius, yeah those were poor translations, I was more trying to nail down the actual meaning. I'll take it you think it's the former meaning [1]? –  silvermaple Jun 20 '12 at 21:11

It's similar to [1]. However, obviously it's not a "means" but rather a status or circumstance. I think the explanation in the textbook or dictionary you are using cannot be applied exactly in this case. –  Gradius Jun 21 '12 at 10:49

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

I think it means something like:

I国が起こした戦争は、世界中に衝撃をもって伝えられた。
The war which country I initiated was conveyed to the world with a shock.
The world was taken aback when told of the war which country I initiated.

According to this oshiete question, 衝撃をもって has the same meaning as 衝撃と共に and 衝撃を伴って, or "together with shock"/"accompanied by shock".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.