Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was talking to my language partner and she mentioned ぶさかわ being used in situations when you want to describe something not pretty but nice. Apparently the word is relatively new and was first used in a pet magazine.

What is the actual meaning?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Probably, it is short for [不]{ぶ}[細]{さい}[工]{く} 'ugly' + [可]{か}[愛]{わい}い 'pretty'.

It may sound contradictory, but the direction of the two properties point to slightly different angles, and the positive one somehow out wins the negative property.

Realizing that you mention it was used in a pet magazine, I think it typically refers to the face of a bulldog or a pug, which sometimes is ugly but nevertheless cute. It is contrasted with other kinds of dogs that have the nose sticking out and the chin skinny, which are considered simply "handsome/beautiful".

A similar one with contradictory flavor is ヘタウマ, which is short for [下手]{へた}([糞]{くそ}) 'bad at' + [上手]{うま}い 'good at', and means 'drawings or writings intentionally made to look bad (like a child's scribble) but are pretty much under control'.

share|improve this answer

Yeah, that's what I thought but I was hoping for a more exciting origin. –  Oleg Levy Jun 17 '12 at 13:17

One thing to note is that, 不細工 is pretty much Kansai (or other) dialect. It is not used much in Tokyo. In Tokyo, the word ブス 'ugly girl' and ブ男 'ugly boy' are more common, so the counterpart will more likely be ブスかわ. –  user458 Jun 17 '12 at 13:23

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.