Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

That is to say, in Japan, at which point in time, was it declared that official documents had to be written in the Japanese language?

I am also looking for any additional information like where it was decided, how was is decided, who decided that, etc...

share|improve this question

There are two votes to close, but we allow questions like how close Japan was to eradicating kanji, and this question is clearly within the same scope, so I don't think it should be closed. –  Questioner Jun 15 '12 at 1:49

Interesting question, could fit on history.stackexchange.com too. –  Nicolas Raoul Jun 15 '12 at 9:16
Also, every time I read the title, it makes me laugh. For those who might not be native English speakers, using "since when" is often used as a challenge, as if the speaker believes strongly that something is not the case. So the way this question is phrased, it's like saying "Japanese ain't the official language of Japan, unless you can prove otherwise!" :) –  Questioner Jun 17 '12 at 6:44

@DaveMG Feel free to edit the question to improve it. Or make a proposition and I will edit the question myself :) –  olchauvin Jun 17 '12 at 7:11

@olchauvin: No, I like it the way it is ;) ! Seriously, though, it's not technically wrong in any way, it's just a subtlety that can be interpreted the way I described. So, I'm happy to leave it in your own words. I'm a believer that people should be left to express themselves their own way, and only edit if the meaning is actually unclear. –  Questioner Jun 17 '12 at 7:42

2 Answers 2

I asked my Japanese teacher why there wasn't an official language in Japan. She asked me why there would be. HHhhmmm.... If you follow the wiki link you recover these facts (straight from the japanese gov')

日本の国語は日本語であるとか、公用語は日本語であるなどと定める条文はないんだ。 まあ、日本国内で普遍的に使用されている言語は、日本語しかないから、日本語が我が国の国語であり、また、公用語であるということになるよね。

So basically, yeah, there is no need. Except for the court-room-language clause:

「裁判所では、日本語を用いる」(裁判所法(昭和22年法律第59号)第74条)

All though whose to say what "日本語" is.

share|improve this answer
Well, there's not an official language of the United States either, or several other countries. –  Chris Barlow Jun 27 '12 at 21:19

According to the wikipedia, there is no law that declares official documents should be written in Japanese, or stating that Japanese is the official language in Japan.

But there are some laws that requires the use of Japanese is certain situations, e.g. in court.

share|improve this answer
I would add that the reason there is no official law is because there is no need for one. –  Jesse Good Jun 15 '12 at 0:09
There is no official language in England either. –  Ben Jun 21 '12 at 15:10

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.