Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the original Japanese saying meaning, "It's always the darkest under the lighthouse"? (reference)

share|improve this question
Note that lighthouse is not an appropriate translation for 灯台 here. –  Dono Jun 12 '12 at 14:12
You omitted the most important part of the question from the title! Please include the sentence itself in the title. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 12 '12 at 14:17
@missingfaktor 灯台 in this case refers a type of old-style room lighting that is made of wood and resembles a candlestick. They were primarily in use from Heian through Edo period. You place a rod in the stand, dampen it with oils, and let it burn. Depending on the design, there are several prominent types: 菊灯台, 切灯台, 糞層灯台, 長檠, and 短檠. –  Dono Jun 12 '12 at 14:43
@missingfaktor: Unfortunately, the tag [typo] has been used to refer to something different from typos, despite its name. Please see the meta post which I linked to in my previous comment. If you have a suggestion for a better name, please post it in the meta thread! –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 12 '12 at 14:54
@Dono: Can you post it as an answer? Although it does not answer the original question being asked, I think that it deserves to be an answer because it explains an important supplemental information about the answer. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 12 '12 at 14:58

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's probably 灯{とう}台{だい}下{もと}暗{くら}し, meaning we tend to overlook what is right under our nose.

http://kotowaza-allguide.com/to/toudaimotokurashi.html

share|improve this answer

Thank you for the answer. Much appreciated! –  missingfaktor Jun 12 '12 at 15:20

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.