Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've heard phrases sometimes like:

チェックいただければと思います。chekku itadakereba to omoimasu

"If you check this ... I think."? Why is that ~と思います at then end of the phrase?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

It should be

チェックしていただければと思います。 chekku shite itadakereba to omoimasu

and it means "It will be great if you could check (this (for me))"

also there is other similar usages with straight forward meaning.

〜していただけると幸いです。 ~ shite itadakeru to saiwai desu.

(If you could do this, I will be very good luck) <- not sure this is correct English though.

〜していただけるとありがたいです。 ~ shite itadakeruto arigatai desu.

(If you could do this, I will be very thankful / appreciated)

share|improve this answer
Essentially 「〜て頂ければと思います」 is just one of the longer phrases here or something similar, except that the middle part has been left out. Leaving out parts of sentences is common. –  Matti Virkkunen Jun 4 '11 at 13:10
is this sentence structure a form of keigo? –  Mark Hosang Jun 4 '11 at 14:55

Without the して (as in the original post), it sounds like he's asking for the check at a restaurant, not asking them to check something. "It'd be great if I could get the check now." Just pointing that out. –  istrasci Jun 5 '11 at 2:03
@Mark: Yes, all examples here means “please do ~,” but more polite than saying, say, チェックしてください. –  Tsuyoshi Ito Jun 5 '11 at 20:07
add comment

This is an aside, but here is some personal thoughts about チェックいただければ vs チェックしていただければ.

チェックしていただければ is undoubtedly correct, and I personally consider チェックいただければ as incorrect. However, I imagine that some (native) speakers use チェックいただければ in an attempt to make the expression more polite than チェックしていただければ.

In general, a more polite expression for ~していただければ is ご~いただければ. For example, チェックする and 確認する (かくにんする) is almost synonymous, and both 確認していただければと思います and ご確認いただければと思います mean “It will be great if you could check it,” the latter being more polite.

Now a problem arises when the word before して is a loanword because attaching the prefix ご to a loanword is usually unacceptable. チェックしていただければ would become ごチェックいただければ, but this form sounds wrong. Therefore one compromise may be to drop ご and say チェックいただければ.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.