Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In the pattern ~よう ~まい, I've found from several sources that you can use and (i.e ~ようが ~まいが), and using one over the other doesn't change the meaning or have a particular nuance. What's confusing me is that I've found one instance of this pattern using , and I can't find if there is anything in particular that distinguishes it from the が / と version or not, or if it's a typo, or what. Can anyone shed some light on this?

share|improve this question

I'm wondering why this question was donwvoted... –  silvermaple Jun 11 '12 at 22:57
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 3 down vote accepted

…ようか…まいか and …ようが…まいが have different meanings. The fact that they have the same English translation “whether … or not” is a coincidence.

The English expression “whether … or not” has two different usages: (1) as a noun clause, and (2) as an adverbial clause. For example:

(1) I wonder whether I will write to her or not.
(2) I will go to New York tomorrow whether it rains or not. (= I will go to New York tomorrow no matter whether it rains or not.)

…ようか…まいか means (1), whereas …ようが…まいが means (2). Therefore, possible translations of the two sentences above are:

(1) 彼女に手紙を書こうか書くまいか迷う。
(2) 明日、雨が降ろうが降るまいがニューヨークに行く。

(But I think that in (1), …ようか…まいか puts a heavy emphasis on the “whether … or not” part. A usual way to say (1) without this emphasis is 彼女に手紙を書くかどうか迷う.)

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.