Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Consider these:

• ~か:
  • 静か

• 愚か

• 厳か

• ~やか:
  • 穏やか

• 鮮やか

• 賑やか

• ~らか:
  • 柔らか

• 滑らか

• 明らか

There are many more that I've not listed.

The か/やか/らか at the end of these words seem to suggest that they stem from a common grammar construct. What is it? And does it mean anything?

share|improve this question

Good question! I've always wondered about those 〜らか・やか words. –  istrasci Jun 1 '12 at 17:29
I might have found part of the answer. It seems that they are some form of onomatopoeic-mimetic word. ~らか means "being ~", and ~やか means "seeming very ~". I'm not entirely sure on what it is yet though. –  Flaw Jun 1 '12 at 17:42
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 5 down vote accepted

In short, -raka and -yaka are compound of -ra + -ka and -ya + -ka, respectively. -ra, -ya, and -ka are all derivational suffixes that add a stative sense.

-ya is rather rare. In the Old Japanese corpus, I can only find three words: nikoya, nagoya, and fuwaya. This suggests that suffix was of only limited productivity then and explains why it was soon supplemented by -ka resulting in -yaka.

-ra attaches to adjective stems, nominals, and sounds. Ex: akara, mahora, simira, utura. During Old Japanese, more productive than -ya, but that declined as time when on. This too was supplemented by -ka resulting in -raka.

-ka Derivatives are often adverbial or the stem of 形容動詞. Ex: isasaka, oroka, sayaka, sizuka, niwaka, honoka. This same -ka is often attached to -ya and -ra.

Also note that there are two other related suffixes: -sa and -ma.

-ma: Attaches to adjectival stems, nominals, the irrealis form of verbs, negative -zu etc. awazuma ni, kaerama ni, kotosima, sakasima, futuma ni, yokosima.

-sa: Attaches to adjectival stems creating nouns. Still productive. Rarely also attaches to nouns as well: tatasa, yokosa. Also joins with -ma to create -sama, which suggests an intriguing etymology for 様 (sama).

share|improve this answer

Is the -ra the same as the pluralising suffix e.g. ぼくら? –  Flaw Jun 2 '12 at 10:44

Yes, it is the same suffix. However, the plural sense is significantly different from the stative sense in this question that I chose not to include it. You may also recognize it from ikura, kokora(hen), korera etc, although again a different sense of the same suffix. –  Dono Jun 2 '12 at 11:08
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.