Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've just come across "〜していたりして" at the end of a sentence in a post on Facebook, so it's probably very casual. Does anyone know the correct meaning and typical usage?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

たりして is used to posit some event as a possibility but something you are not sure about. For example, about the future:

10年後に大金持ちになっていたりして。

From the nature of this expression meaning "not being sure", it is also used as a hedge when you want to be modest and a bit comical:

ひょっとして、さっきのことでまだ怒ってたりして。

share|improve this answer
would ひょっとして、さっきのことでまだ怒ってたりして。 translate as "Perhaps (I) might be still mad about what happened a little while ago."? –  yadokari May 31 '12 at 14:35

@yadokari Something like that. –  sawa May 31 '12 at 14:49

@sawa Thanks, those two points of uncertainty and (possible) humour agree precisely with the opinion of my Japanese wife, but I wasn't about to trust her. ;-) –  Nick Westgate May 31 '12 at 21:29
add comment

I'm not sure what part you're stuck on, and we can give more relevant answers most of the time if we know the context, but here we go:

している is the present-continuous short form of the verb する (to do).

The 〜たり suffix indicates an incomplete list of one or more actions (more on that here), for example

新聞を読んだり、コーヒーを飲んだりする
Read a newspaper, drink coffee, and so on. (or)
Do such things as read a newspaper and drink coffee.

So the best translation I can give without the context here is:

〜していたりして
Doing such things as ~

As for why the final する is in て-form, that would be easier to answer if we could see the full sentence.

share|improve this answer
Your syntactic analysis is right, but you are missing the most crucial aspect: the particular nuance of this expression. –  sawa May 31 '12 at 11:34

Thanks John, I've seen tari-suru but it was confirmation of the difference from that and the meanings that I was after. –  Nick Westgate May 31 '12 at 22:25
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.