Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

兄さんをエサにホムンクルスを引っ張り出します

Is there an implied verb after に, or not? Is this sentence more along the lines of the situation when you have two verbs connected with the ~て form, or is it more along the lines of "兄さんをエサに" being an element of the verb 引っ張り出す in the same way that ホムンクルスを is?

Could you replace に with として here? If so, how would it compare with the sentence using に? If not, why not?

I know I asked a lot of questions; just address whichever ones make the most sense.

niisan wo esa ni

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 4 down vote accepted

You are on the right track about the missing verb. The missing verb can be して. But you do not need to change the particle. Just add the missing verb: 兄さんをエサにして. Using here is unnatural. I think として can be used as "as if", implying that it is not actually it. In 兄さんをエサにして...を引っ張り出す, the brother is actually treated as bait, so should be used. In 兄さんをエサとして扱う or 兄さんをエサとみなす, there is implication that the brother is not actually bait, so is used.

share|improve this answer

So I guess you have can't have more than one direct object per verb. That's good to know. :) –  dotnetN00b May 31 '12 at 22:59

@dotnetN00b In Japanese, you cannot have more than one accusative phrase (Not the same as direct object). In Korean, you can. –  sawa Jun 13 '12 at 2:32

We really need a wiki on what all of these grammatical terms mean :) –  dotnetN00b Jun 13 '12 at 19:29
add comment

It seems like して is implied after the . The robot ホムンクルス seems to be saying that he'll make the guy (兄さん) like bait (エサ) and pull him along (and won't let him die).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.