Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was wondering what the literal translation really means. I've seen it translated as I'm home but I've also seen it in a few situations where the person wasn't arriving home.

share|improve this question

Almost certainly a duplicate of this one –  Dave May 28 '12 at 12:55
I'm asking for the literal translation. The other thread is talking about various instances where you can use the phrase. I don't see how my question is a duplicate of his question. –  dotnetN00b May 28 '12 at 12:58

1 Answer 1

up vote 10 down vote accepted

The ただいま that you say when you arrive home is a contraction of ただ今帰りました. (ただ=たったjust / 今=now / 帰りました=(I) came back/came home /returned)
I think one other situation you're talking about might be where you say 'ただいま', 'Certainly, sir'/'Yes sir, I'll do that right away'/'Yes, I'll be right with you' etc., when someone tells you to do something or calls you, and probably rushes you. I think this ただいま (with the stress on だ and a falling tone on いま) literally means 'right now''right away', like '(はい、)たった今(行きます/参ります)' or '(はい、)今すぐに(します/やります)'

share|improve this answer

ただ=たった, I've never seen either of those words (used by itself and at all, respectively). The only words I've seen meaning just are だけ、しか. So is たった a verb or an adverb? –  dotnetN00b May 28 '12 at 23:15
ただ is an adverb (ただ can also be used as a noun though, like 「ただの人」(ordinary)「料金はただです」(free of charge)), meaning 'just/only', and it is often used in a set phrase with だけ, ばかり, のみ or しか, like 「ただ月が照るばかりだ」「ただ見つめるだけだった」「ただ命令に従うのみ」「ただ祈るしかなかった」. According to my Japanese dictionary, たった is 「'ただ'の促音化(Sokuon-ka. Sokuon is 'っ'/little つ.)」, meaning 'ほんの', 'only'. e.g.「たったこれだけ」「たった今帰ったところ」「たった10円しか入ってない」. –  Choko May 28 '12 at 23:42

That's weird. There were two answers here a few hours ago... –  dotnetN00b May 29 '12 at 5:01

@dotnetN00b-san, I can still see Dono-san's answer, which was posted 16 hrs ago and deleted 5 hrs ago. I think you can see it too...? (I don't know StackExchange's system very well, but I have been able to see all deleted answers in JLU since last month or so...) –  Choko May 29 '12 at 5:56
@Chocolate when you get to 2000 reputation points you get access to the moderator tools, which include the ability to view deleted posts: japanese.stackexchange.com/privileges/moderator-tools –  cypher May 29 '12 at 8:38

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.