Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is the connotation when using 〜ものだから and 〜もの in a sentence? In my text, they state these examples:

The first set is 〜ものだから:

上着を脱いでもいいですか。 暑いものですから。

Can I take my jacket off? I'm feeling a bit hot.

遅くなってごめん。 道路が混んでいたもんだから。

I'm sorry I'm late. I got caught in a traffic jam.

The second set is 〜もの:

パーティーには行かなかったよ。 知らなかったんだもの。

I didn't go to the party, because I didn't know it was on.

しょうがないよ。 子供なんだもん。

It can't be helped. He's just a kid.

I was told that one is used more often to assert a reason or excuse for something being done, and the other for expressing feeling. Is this true? Other than that, is there any defining line between the two examples?

EDIT: I removed the question about whether a form was meant for subjectivity or objectivity.

share|improve this question

In what sense is "道路が混む" or "being caught in a traffic jam" subjective? –  sawa May 28 '12 at 1:44
@sawa Isn't it up to opinion whether some area is 混んでいる or not? I'm not sure about nuances, but in English we can always argue whether some place is crowded/busy or not. –  Chris Harris May 28 '12 at 1:59

Somewhat related: See Chocolate's comment on から ending a sentence –  Flaw May 28 '12 at 3:27

@Chris If that is the case, then, isn't "being a kid" subjective as well? You can argue whether someone is a kid or not. Or, does you example refer to a "legal" adult/kid? Then, does that mean that your sentence has different meaning depending on the country/area? –  sawa May 28 '12 at 3:33
@sawa Probably. I'm not too sure it is relevant whether the examples are objective / subjective anymore since that doesn't seem to be the difference between the two examples. These sentences are from 日本語総まとめN2 by the way. –  Chris Harris May 28 '12 at 4:34

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I think ものですから/もんですから/もんだから/ものだから/だもの/だもん can all be used to state a reason or excuse. (暑い)ものですから sounds very polite and a bit feminine (and maybe elegant too). (暑い)ものですから sounds more polite than (暑い)もんですから. (暑い)もんですから doesn't sound feminine or masculine to me. (道が混んでいた)もんだから sounds more casual than (道が混んでいた)ものですから/もんですから. Hmm maybe ものだから sounds a bit more feminine than もんだから in casual conversation. I think ものだから is not used so often as もんだから.
So... you can rephrase them as 「上着(を)脱いでもいい?暑いもん(orの)だから。」(more casual than your example)「遅くなってすみません。道が混んでいたもの(orん)ですから。」(more polite than your example)

I think (知らなかったん)だもの sounds a bit more feminine than (知らなかったん)だもん.
You can also say;
知らなかったもん(sounds more casual and maybe a bit more blunt than 知らなかったんだもん)/
知らなかったもの(sounds a bit more feminine than 知らなかったもん)/
子どもなんだもの(sounds more feminine than 子どもなんだもん)/
子どもだもん(sounds a bit more blunt and maybe more childish than 子どもなんだもん). 

(BTW if you want to sound more elegant and feminine, you can say 「パーティには行きませんでしたわ。知らなかったんですもの。」「しかたありませんわ。子どもなんですもの。」)

Edit: Wait... now I think you're asking if the first set (~ものだから) and the second set (~だもの) are interchangeable, and how these two differ from each other...?

1「上着、脱いでもいい?暑いんだもの/暑いんだもん」
2「遅くなってごめん。道が混んでいたんだもん」
3-a「パーティーには行かなかったよ。知らなかったもんだから。」
b「パーティーには行きませんでした。知らなかったものですから。」
4-a「しょうがありません。子供なものですから。」
b「しょうがないよ。子どもなもんだから」

1 sounds fine to me, but I would rather say 「上着、脱ぐわ。(だって)暑いんだもん。」2 also sounds fine but I think it sounds like someone's blaming you for being late and you're stating an excuse. 3 sounds fine too. 4 sounds a bit awkward to me... I think you'd say 子どもなものですから/子どもなもんだから when you apologize to someone for something your kid has done. e.g. 「申し訳ありません、子どもなものですから」「ごめんね、子どもなもんだから」.

So... I think the first set (~ものだから/もんだから) are more used to just express a reason, while the second set (~だもの/だもん) might have a nuance of complaint or dissatisfaction, a grumbling tone or maybe a criticizing tone... so the second set might sound like 'I didn't go to the party, and it wasn't my fault, because I wasn't invited/nobody told me about it.'/'It can't be helped, and you shouldn't complain, because he's just a kid.'

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.