Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When expressing "to leave," as in "I left the store," or "I can leave the country," is there a difference in nuance or meaning between the verbs 出る and 去る?

まあ、少なくとも、この国を出ることはできるな。 Well, at least I can leave this country.

まあ、少なくとも、この国を去ることはできるな。 Well, at least I can leave this country. (?)

店を出ると、犬を連れた二人の中年女性が通りかかりました。 When I left the shop, two middle-aged women with dogs were passing by.

店を去ると、犬を連れた二人の中年女性が通りかかりました。 When I left the shop, two middle-aged women with dogs were passing by.(?)

私は、そこを去って別の電気製品を1時間近く見たところで、また「肩モミ椅子」の辺りにやってきました。 I moved on and after looking at other things for about an hour came by the chair display again.

私は、そこを出て別の電気製品を1時間近く見たところで、また「肩モミ椅子」の辺りにやってきました。 I moved on and after looking at other things for about an hour came by the chair display again.(?)

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

出る means "leaving out of a bounded/surrounded area". 去る means "leave to a remote place" and often implies "leaving for permanent". Also から sounds more natural than を with 去る.

• For your sentence 1 and 2, I think they are equally fine.
  • I feel sentence 4 a bit unnatural compared to sentence 3. Perhaps this is because 店 is not as strongly a place as are 国 and そこ. Rather it is a building (with surrounding walls), so 出る sounds better. Also 店を去ると would not mean "when I stepped out of the store". It rather means "after I walked far enough from the store".
  • For sentence 5 and 6, using 去って means "leaving the section that has the particular electronic thing"; using 出て means "leaving the building".
share|improve this answer

Thank you. Then how about in this instance? 後ろ髪は前よりも短くなったので、お店を去って外に出たとき、寒かったです。 My hair in the back was shorter than before, so when I left the salon to go outside I could feel the cold. –  yadokari May 27 '12 at 21:52

That sentence is unnatural. て implies temporal order, and 外に出る "stepping out" should precede お店を去る "being far away from the shop", so the order should be the other way as "外に出てお店を去ったとき". –  sawa May 27 '12 at 22:02
ok. I got the sentence from a native speaker but I understand their writing may be poor. –  yadokari May 27 '12 at 22:06

“から sounds more natural than を with 去る”: Are you sure about this? My feeling is that both から and を can be used in most cases, but in some cases を is much preferred; for example, 祖国を去る sounds much more natural than 祖国から去る. –  Tsuyoshi Ito May 27 '12 at 22:56

@TsuyoshiIto It is subtle to me. Maybe you are right. –  sawa May 28 '12 at 1:34

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.