Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was a little confused by the following sentence because 条件 is a regular noun, but looking at examples I see that it means "on the condition of [object]": 財政危機におちいっているギリシャは、 緊縮を条件に、ヨーロッパのほかの国から支援を受けています

I'm wondering, was there a verb that just isn't said anymore?

And I'm trying to think of other example constructs like it, but haven't come up with anything. Is this a common construct?

share|improve this question
I think it's a contraction of 緊縮を条件に して, but I'm not positive. –  istrasci May 24 '12 at 17:47

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

The same construct can be used with other nouns (but not every noun):

• 緊縮を条件に支援を受ける to receive aid on the condition of austerity
  • 結婚を前提に交際する to go out with a person seriously with the idea of getting married
  • 利用者の意見を参考に使い勝手を改善する to improve usability taking the feedback from users into account
  • を中心にたくさんの商店が集まっている。 Centered around the station there are many stores. (This example is based on an example in “The meaning of and difference between ~を中心に and ~をめぐって” by cypher.)

In these examples, as istrasci wrote in a comment on the question, we could insert して after に. (I do not know if the version with して is the original form and the version without して is a contraction of it or not.) However, in the following similar-looking examples, this is not the case, so I am not sure if this captures the essence of the construct:

• 来月中旬を[目処]{めど}にこの仕事を終わらせます。 I will finish this work by about the middle of next month. (This example is based on an example in Progressive Japanese-English Dictionary.)
  • オリンピックを最後に引退する to retire with the Olympic Games as the last event
share|improve this answer

Thanks, whichever the case, it looks very useful. –  Louis May 24 '12 at 22:00

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.