Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My friend ended a letter thusly:


ノシ symbolizes a waving arm. Is this considered 絵文字 or does it have a different name?

share|improve this question
This question is trivial. And it is not helpful. As Chocolate comments, if you want to call it, you can. If you don't want to, you can not to. – user458 May 24 '12 at 9:37
I learned that it is called both things so it was helpful to me. I apologize if you were offended or in any way put in a bad mood by the triviality of this question. – yadokari May 25 '12 at 1:34
I was not offended at all. I just felt that it could be either way or the other, and does not matter. Never mind. – user458 May 25 '12 at 3:08
up vote 8 down vote accepted

Nico Nico actually calls it 顔文字. (And so do other places like here.)

Edit: There is, perhaps, some crossover, but 絵文字 more broadly refers to things like pictograms (pictures with meaning), while 顔文字 refers to...well, 顔文字 (characters put together to make faces).

share|improve this answer
but it's not a face :/ ~thanks – yadokari May 22 '12 at 1:20
Chiebukuro actually suggests that the face part of (^-^)ノシ just gets omitted. – SomethingJapanese May 22 '12 at 1:27
Some call it 顔文字 and others call it 絵文字 imiimiimi.seesaa.net/article/184478993.html oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/1507390.html – user1016 May 22 '12 at 3:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.