Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was wondering Is there a Japanese name (or term) for written stuff that are neither kana nor kanji?

By that, I mean stuff like:

  • ゠ (ダブルハイフン, for indicating the dash in foreign words)

  • ・ (ぽつ, for separating foreign words, to make it more readable)

  • 〆 (しめ, for indicating deadlines)

  • 〄 (ジスマーク, on a product to show that it complies with industrial standards)

  • ~ (なみ, from... to... e.g. 月~金曜日)

  • 〽 (庵点, for indicating the start of a singer's part in a song)

  • ※ (米, the English equivalent of asterisk for indicating attention)

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

I think you would call them 記{き}号{ごう}, or "symbols".

If you look at the Microsoft Office IME's 入力できる特殊文字の一覧 page, you'll see some of these listed under きごう.

I think you could also call them 特{とく}殊{しゅ}文{も}字{じ}, or "special characters".

share|improve this answer

As cypher said, they are called 記号. Usually, this refers to characters other than letters (kana, kanji, and alphabetic letters) and numerals. Some computer programs call them 特殊文字, but in this case the emphasis is on the fact that entering them requires a special method. In typography, characters other than letters and numerals are called [約物]{やくもの}.

share|improve this answer

Also, there is the word "shirushi" (印) meaning sign, symbol.

For instance your example ※ is called "komejirushi" (米印).

The well-known Zojirushi brand of rice cookers, coffee makers and such, means "Elephant mark" or "Elephant brand" or the like.

share|improve this answer
Cool, thanks for the info =D – Pacerier May 16 '12 at 4:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.