Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen this a couple of times in newspapers. For example:

....は山口、広島両県の....

I can't find it in any dictionary. My gut feeling is that it indicates a sort of union between the two prefectures, in this case between Yamaguchi and Hiroshima. Can someone confirm or clarify this?

share|improve this question
両~ = both, no? Like... 両足=both legs, 両極=both poles, 両端=both ends, 両サイド=both sides...(↓笑!わたしも今気づいた) –  Choko May 13 '12 at 13:18
Wouldn't this just mean "both prefectures"? Like 両手 - both hands. (edit: I see Chocolate got there 6 seconds before me :D) –  ジョン May 13 '12 at 13:18

Can someone explain why this was down-voted? Is it off-topic? –  silvermaple May 26 '12 at 15:20
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

両〜 is a prefix meaning "both". In this case "both prefectures".

Here are some other examples of its usage, from EDICT via jisho.org.

share|improve this answer

Oh, yeah that makes a lot of sense...something about it just threw me off. I think having the two names first, I don't know. Thanks though :) –  silvermaple May 13 '12 at 13:30
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.