Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

these two words came up when I was looking at a vocabulary list that I'm supposed to study. I'm having trouble with understanding the difference and the usage of the words. If possible would someone please provide a couple of examples using both of the terms? I would appreciate it!

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Not entirely sure about this, but from the different examples I've seen, やかましい seems to be more subjective, based on one's opinion or feelings, whereas そうぞうしい seems to be more objective and/or neutral.

Can't type Japanese on the computer I'm using right now, so I'll have to add examples later.

やかましい

隣の人がやかましくてよく眠れなかった → My neighbours were making such a racket that I couldn't sleep well.
やかましい社会問題 → A much-discussed social problem

騒々しい

騒々しくて彼の声が聞こえなかった → We could not hear him because of all the noise.

share|improve this answer

I read some examples, but I'm still having a hard time with it. I will wait for your examples and see if I can understand! –  Chris Harris May 13 '12 at 2:02
Come to think of it「うるさい」も似てるわね… –  Choko May 13 '12 at 4:34
I just noticed that when I say stupid jokes my friends often say やかまし(い)わ!(like Kansai comedy), but they never say そうぞうしいわ!They rarely say うるさいわ either probably because it might sound too strong. –  Choko May 14 '12 at 5:02

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.