Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've seen this in a few texts now and since it's appeared with some frequency I thought to post the question here. I tried searching online but came up with no real conclusions.

ありませんから or plain form ないから

I understand the ありません / ない, what is a little vague to me is the addition of から at the end.

I've included a sample sentence to add some context.

まだまだ中に戻る気はありませんからね。

Thank you for the assistance.

share|improve this question
If you have the previous sentence as well, I think you should edit it in. –  Hyperworm May 10 '12 at 17:26
add comment

1 Answer

Your sentence basically means "It's because I have no will/desire to go back inside yet." The から is just stating that the preceding clause is a/the reason for some action/behaviour/etc. However, due to your post, we don't know what that is.

An example might be the following:

しょう君、なぜこの3時間ずっと外で遊んでいるの? → Hey Sho, why have you been playing outside for 3 hours?
まだまだ中に戻る気はありませんからね。 → Because I don't want to go back inside yet, ね。

share|improve this answer
I think it'd be more like 接続助詞「から」=活用語の終止形につき、原因や理由を表すほか、 "終助詞に似た形で、強い主張や決意を表す" ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/… –  Chocolate May 10 '12 at 16:48
After reading this answer, and going back to read the texts that caused my confusion, @chocolate, your answer is the one that fits the content, and the sentences I read this in now are more clear. Thank you. –  フレヂィ May 11 '12 at 14:35
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.