Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

こんなとこで寝てっと風邪ひくぞ

Is this a contraction of something? How does it differ from something like 寝ると or 寝てると?

naruto 21

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

This is obviously a contraction of 寝てると. Not sure if this pertains to certain dialects/age groups etc. though. Haven't heard this one myself in real life.

share|improve this answer

i learned that らりるれろ often turns into ん but i guess sometimes it also turns into っ huh? i think i've seen it in other places too like 寝るから -> 寝っから possibly. –  ogicu8abruok May 7 '12 at 2:52
@ogicu8abruok Many "proper" modern japanese forms come from this process, 走りて -> 走って etc. –  dainichi May 7 '12 at 4:09

The article on 促音便[そくおんびん] (4-4) here might be some help? ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%9F%B3%E4%BE%BF –  Choko May 7 '12 at 8:01

So does the と act like から in this sentence? –  dotnetN00b May 7 '12 at 13:27
The と treated here (in 寝ていると and in "勉強すると分かる=If you study, you'll understand") and から in "勉強したから合格した=I studied, so I passed" are both 接続助詞(conjunctive particles). weblio.jp/content/%E6%8E%A5%E7%B6%9A%E5%8A%A9%E8%A9%9E The meanings are a bit different, the と means 'if~' and the から means 'because~'. –  Choko May 7 '12 at 15:13

The ーと in this sentence relates two parts as a consequence, but also gives an admonishment: I.e. this character is effectively saying: "You shouldn't sleep in such a place or you will catch a cold, you know!".

(Contrast this with ーば (as in こんなとこで寝れば...)which would just states the fact/opinion plainly: "if you sleep in such a place, you will catch a cold.")

The "tto" contraction used here is emphatic, or possibly male speech. Or both. It strengthens the statement, as if the character is saying, "you really shouldn't sleep here."

It is a phonetic feature of Japanese that changes toward stopped consonants are emphatic. For instance consider:

やはり→やっぱり

「。。。」と → 「。。。」って

とても → とっても

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.