Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

"あなたの本を車の中に置いてきてしまいました。" means "I left your book in the car." but what is the meaning of "きて" and "しまいました" in context?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 0 down vote accepted

「きて」, from 「[来]{く}る」, indicates that it is a "conclusion" of sorts. 「しまう」 indicates a completion, usually with a negative connotation. Taken together, a better translation for the sentence would be "It has come to pass that I have left your book in the car.".

share|improve this answer
add comment

きて is 来て. This is a helping verb which indicates a beginning or continuation of an action up to the present time.

しまいました is the polite past tense of shimau, which indicates a completed action (sometimes with connotations that there are negative consequences, that it should not have been done).

In informal speech V-て/で しまいました is V-て/で しまった which is contracted to ちゃった or じゃった respectively.

For instance "tabeta" is like "ate", but "tabechatta" is like "ate" in the sense of "swallowed": the focus is the completion of the action, not simply eating having taken place in the past. In English, I suppose, we could use "up" for this: tabete-shimau (or tabechau) is something like "eat up".

So you would not say "kinou no o hiru gohan, nani-o tabechatta". This is almost like asking "what did you eat up for lunch yesterday".

The exact nuance is context sensitive.

A parent might say to another: "Hora mite ano ko: zenbu tabechatta!" (Look at that kid, he gobbled up everything.)

As a command:

Ordinary verb, nomu in the -de form: "Nonde!" (Drink!)

With -de-shimau becoming -de-shimatte becoming -jatte: "Nonjatte!" (Drink up! Drink it all!)

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.