Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Considering "How to define 羨ましい?", it does not seem that 羨【うらや】ましい conveys a strong intensity of jealousy.

How does 妬【ねた】ましい compare to 羨【うらや】ましい then?

Does 妬【ねた】ましい convey a stronger sense of jealously than the "I wish I were you" kind? How is 妬【ねた】ましい used differently from 羨【うらや】ましい?

Also as an aside, has Shakespeare's concept of the green-eyed monster influenced the Japanese language for 緑【みどり】の目【め】 to be considered as a concept for jealousy?

share|improve this question

I'm kind of curious why the kanji for woman is within it. –  Andrew Grimm Apr 27 '12 at 11:06
@AndrewGrimm. Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned. –  Flaw Apr 27 '12 at 11:30
@AndrewGrimm: You can look those kinds of things up in a decent 漢和辞典. For example, in 漢字源 it says 「女+(音符)石(セキ)」で、女性が競争者に負けまいと真っ赤になって興奮すること。(Abbreviated) If you do not have a 漢和辞典, flip through a few at a bookstore and find one that suites your needs. –  Dono Apr 27 '12 at 15:32

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

As far as I know, 妬ましい has more of a negative connotation. Like an "evil" jealousy. I know in my Japanese Bible, it's often used in talking about "coveting" or "being greedy for". This dictionary entry includes

悪感情がこめられている場合が多い

Whereas 羨ましい has more of a neutral, or even positive nuance. "You're going to Disneyland next month? I'm so jealous!"

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.