Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The sentence 何と言ったら良いか分かりません means "I don't know what I should say."

But what is the literal translation of this sentence? What is the purpose of the in 良いか?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

you can think of it like:

What would be right to say? I don't know

何と言ったら良いか分かりません

What to say... / good? / I don't know

the か would supply the question mark in my literal translation above.

share|improve this answer

言ったら is in ~tara form, (if conditional, if I say), so how would it be interpreted that way? –  xrac Apr 27 '12 at 13:28

I had wrote "to say" by itself, but I did not mean it to represent an equivalent of the infinitive form "to say" which would correspond to 言う in japanese. I meant it like a question one asks oneself: "What to say? what to say? I don't know..." So another literal translation would be "What should I say/ good?/ I don't know" –  yadokari Apr 27 '12 at 13:36

I would say a good 'literal' translation of 言ったら is "if I said" ... giving us: 何と(what)言ったら(if I said)良いか([would be] good?)わかりません(I don't know) –  rintaun Apr 27 '12 at 13:57
@rintaun: agreed but it would probably be safer to say: 何と(what)言ったら(if I say)良いか([would be] good?)わかりません(I don't know) –  yadokari Apr 27 '12 at 14:09

か indicates a question. In English, questions in the main clause will be indicated by inverting the auxiliary before the clause. The addition of か in Japanese corresponds to that, but in Japanese, か is added regardless of main or embedded clause.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.