Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The following sentence was translated in the following ways:

窓を開けたままで寝るんじゃなかった。
I shouldn't have slept with the window open.
I regret (that) I was sleeping with the window open.

But why does ~んじゃなかった make the meaning "I shouldn't have slept" rather than "I hadn't been sleeping"?

share|improve this question

I would've thought it was a rhetorical question as in "Was it not the case that I slept with the window open?" –  Flaw Apr 26 '12 at 1:34

@Flaw Wouldn't that be ・・・寝たんじゃない? –  ジョン Apr 26 '12 at 2:12

@ジョン I suppose. Which is why it struck me as odd because I already had some form of prejudgement when reading the sentence. –  Flaw Apr 26 '12 at 2:31

The meaning is accurate as translated. But I can't answer "why" and I'm having trouble finding it in J-J dictionaries. –  Hyperworm Apr 26 '12 at 12:18

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

In your example, your ~寝【ね】るんじゃなかった is a shortened form of ~寝【ね】ることではなかった.

~Vことだ is a common command form, and ~Vことではない is used by extension as a form of prohibition. In your example, the following transformations have occurred:

• ではない → じゃない
  • こと → の → ん

In this case, the speaker is basically scolding herself because she should've known not to sleep with the window open.

share|improve this answer

The only part that does not feel very intuitive to me is こと→の. –  Flaw Apr 26 '12 at 13:19
@Flaw I would vouch for the こと→の. It's a common contraction. (hoping that contraction is the right word here) –  ジョン Apr 26 '12 at 13:44

@ジョン It's easy to see that もの→もん and の→ん. But こと→の seems to be a different thing altogether. –  Flaw Apr 26 '12 at 13:46
@Flaw Both こと and の are nominalizers, so it's not exactly fair to call it a "transformation." See japanese.stackexchange.com/q/1395/384 -- note that there is some disagreement on ことだ⇔のだ in the comments of the accepted answer –  rintaun Apr 26 '12 at 13:47

Though the commanding ことだ seems to be a different case than what they're discussing. –  rintaun Apr 26 '12 at 13:54

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.