Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A fair while ago someone said something like 嘘だぴょーん! in a comment.

But what kind of a connotation and usage does ~だぴょん have? Can it be used in a kind of humorous sort of way?

Edit: Realized it was actually 嘘だぴょーん!.

share|improve this question
Are you sure it wasn't だぴょん? It sounds cute since ぴょんぴょん is the way that a bunny bounces. If so, then it is the same as だよん or just だよ. –  Dono Apr 21 '12 at 1:36

@Dono Thanks, yeah I think it actually was だぴょーん! rather than だびょーん! –  cypher Apr 21 '12 at 2:42

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

The question was revised since my initial comment, which I will add as an answer.

だぴょん (or だぴょーん) is a final suffix equivalent to だよん or だよ. It adds a sense of cuteness owning to the fact that ぴょん (or ぴょんぴょん) is the way in which something (such as a bunny) hops or bounces.

share|improve this answer

(@Dono's correction/answer allowed me to find out a lot more, so I thought I might try to add a bit about the expression 嘘ぴょん.)

According to Zokugo-dict, 嘘ぴょん is an expression which first appeared around 1986, and it's used when speaking one's mind after someone tells a fib. It apparently isn't used for really serious lies, only for exaggerations/dramatizations etc which could end up as jokes.

Apparently 嘘ピョーン was at number 1 at Goo's 2009 今でもつい使ってしまう死語ランキング "ranking of dead language which is unintentionally used even now."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.