Take the 2-minute tour ×
Japanese Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the Japanese language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's the difference between 一応{いちおう} and とりあえず?

While I think they can both mean "tentatively" or "for the time being", there seems to be a difference in their usage. How do the two translate differently into English?

After reading this Space ALC Japanese Q&A page, I'm interpreting it as that 一応 has a negative nuance of something being "unsatisfactory" but temporally doing it anyway, and that とりあえず has a positive (or possibly neutral?) nuance of "doing what you can do for the time being". Can the previous explanations work for all, or a majority of cases?

It also states that in the following sentences there isn't a lot of difference between the two:

• お話は一応伺っておきましょう。
  • とりあえずお話は伺っておきましょう。

But I didn't understand why the two have a different position in the sentence. Would 一応お話は伺っておきましょう and お話はとりあえず伺っておきましょう also be possible?

share|improve this question
The position does not matter. Both orders that you ask are possible. –  sawa Apr 19 '12 at 0:09
一往【いちおう】 looks way cooler. –  istrasci Apr 19 '12 at 14:21

I always translated 一応 as "kind of". –  Nate Glenn Apr 25 '12 at 17:26

1 Answer 1

• 一応 means "as a backup", "in case something happens". It implies some redundancy.
  • とりあえず means "can't think of the best way to do at the moment/can't decide for the moment, so for the time being".
share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.